Tuesday 4 December 2007

Day 64

Sunday December 2nd 2007

Sunday 2nd December 2007

December 4th is my oldest grandsons birthday. He enters double figures, he is 10 this year. They arrived from Cardiff for dinner today. I had boned and stuffed the chicken and cooked a variety of vegetables. I also made a trifle with fresh fruit and blancmange. Blancmange is fine as it comes in paper and cardboard. My daughter brought the cream as I cannot source it with out plastic. I toasted some almonds for the top of the trifle and then used my little hand slicer to flake them. I also made some praline quickly using just butter and brown sugar in a saucepan for a few minutes, then tipping it out onto greaseproof paper. When cool put another piece of greaseproof paper on top and crush with a rolling pin. Sprinkle over the trifle with the almonds for a lovely crunchy nutty topping. I made a devils food cake covered in butter icing for a birthday cake. Everyone who tastes this cake enthuses over it as it is soft, moist and so chocolately. This year it will be devils food cake for xmas with my own butter fudge icing. We feasted like kings once again.