Sunday 9 December 2007

Day 67

Wednesday 5th December 2007

Christmas looms. I have been asked if I will have a white or a green Christmas. Both I hope. Christmas is traditionally a time of fresh fruit, fresh meat and fresh vegetables. But anyone with children will tell you that the amount of packaging thrown out is abysmal. How many of us have been frustrated at all those little wire ties that one has to release a child’s toy from. Some toys even have their own tool to release the toy from the wrapping. How many times have we all said, they prefer to play with the box to the toy. Local shopkeepers will now remove packaging if I wish to purchase something that is heavily packaged. I know this in a way defeats the object but I do know that the more people that ask for the packaging to be removed the more the shopkeepers will feed back to the suppliers and the better chance there is of less packaging. I have not accepted a plastic carrier bag for the last ten weeks. When a teenager I remember my mother having a line full of washed plastic bags drying in the wind. We were not used to wasting then so did not do it. Any plastic bags I have to take have been washed and are now reused over and over again for food stuffs which I then freeze. After ten weeks of going without ice-cream I now find out that in Skewen is Cresci’s Ice Cream Parlour and a man who has the only licence in Neath Port Talbot to produce his own ice-cream. I can produce my own container and have as many scoops as I wish dropped in. What a break through, milk and pop in glass bottles and now ice-cream in my own container. My world gets to be a more eco friendly place daily.