Thursday 8 November 2007

Day 37

Monday 5th November 2007 – Day 37 – Off to Cardiff on the 7 am bus and the 7.25 train. I do not drive so sometimes have to put up with public transport. I am used to not driving and still get mad if the bus does not turn up but feel it is a small price to pay for being chauffer driven. I love the independence of being able to go to the market in Neath any time I want really on the bus as we have an hourly service and also the train gives me a freedom. I can go anywhere in comfort, no traffic queues and because I do not travel on commuter trains much I find the trains I do catch are 90% on time which is wonderful today. I can get to Cardiff and use the lift and tunnel to get on to another platform to catch the Barry train to Dinas Powys where my 9 year old grandson ran to meet me along the long winding path to the station while his mother watched him from the car. He took the music case he had left behind with me last weekend and took my bag and carried it like the little man he is getting to be. MY daughter had an organic fruit & veg box delivered on the weekend which she was disappointed with as the apples were so small. I used some of the carrots and swede to make a thick beef casserole for them. The carrots were exceptional. I cut slices and popped them into my mouth as I cleaned the veg. The taste was of my childhood. We tend to say that our taste buds are not as good as when we were yo9ung so the food does not taste the same. I can now tell you that is rubbish. Those carrots tasted exactly as the ones we dug up from our garden did when I was 5 years old. The swede also was of my childhood. The frost had permeated it and it was succulent and as fresh as it is possible to get. After eating her casserole with organic mashed potatoes my daughter is re ordering the veg box for each week. Food such as that is an experience not a necessity and if you can find it grab it.