Thursday 8 November 2007

Day 39

Wednesday 7th November 2007 – Day 39 – A day of paperwork. But I spent a relaxing one and a half hours tending to my incinerator. I sit in a garden chair and feed my old metal animal feed bin with any newspapers I have bought and burn any food waste which is invariably my chicken bones, greaseproof paper that meat and frozen goods have been wrapped in, Leo pea boxes and lentil boxes etc. My daughter just informed me in the phone about people on television complaining about 2 week bin collections and saying their bins are maggot infested. I despair when she tells me the council are sending a man around to tell them what has caused the maggots. Do people see no other life than that big black monster called a waste disposal bin. I have a friend in Canada who tells me every house there has a waste disposal built into the kitchen sink for waste food which is pulverised to mush and then washed away. There are more ways than we realise of negating the need for a waste disposal bin. I sat by my fire and reminisced. I get dirty, I have to get in a bath straight after, but I feel like a child again, I am achieving my own waste disposal and am asking no one to take away from my house my waste. Why are people not encouraged to do this instead of Councils moaning about how much it is costing to recycle and talk of charging for taking away rubbish and maggots in bins escalate. Why does an alternative way have to be so hard. Logic is lost in the window of time. Bring it back before it is too late please someone. If more people used the pop man and the milk man this would create full time jobs for people within our own communities which in turn means that money is invested back into the community. No profit going to some obscure offshore island while we are submerged under mountains of plastic that take 500 years to disintegrate in the ground.