Thursday 8 November 2007

Day 38

Tuesday 6th November 2007 – Day 38 – Last night was bonfire night. We in this village are lucky, we have the remnants of an old society where people come out onto the streets for any events going on and Guy Fawkes was one of the biggest. The bonfire put together by the children of the village was huge. People all over the village use the opportunity to get rid of old wardrobes or chairs or beds they do not want and they make bonfire night a night to remember. There were about 50 people out when I got to the street where you look up to the bonfire. My daughter and son have attended this same bonfire as children. My friend Dilys was with her twin grandsons at their first bonfire as they are not yet 2 years of age. They enjoyed splashing in the muddy water and were totally unimpressed with the huge fire and the noise which I am sure gets louder every year. Older children roasted potatoes in the fire as is the custom. Today the pop man called. I was thrilled to get 3 litre glass bottles of pop on which I paid the deposit as it was my first week, I had orange, lemonade and cherryade, and I had a huge cauliflower from the Gower in Swansea, just down the road, for the sum of £3.40. Not bad for glass bottles and a local cauliflower. MY life improves daily and by bin and recycling non existent.