Sunday 14 October 2007

Day 14

Saturday 13th October 2007 and day 13 not 14 - I know I have gone wrong but cannot put it right. So be it :)
I have to get up earlier on Saturday. Because I was in Cardiff yesterday I had prepared nothing for the onslaught. James came home last night and today my daughter Jane and my grandsons Keelan and Daniel arrive for the day. This happens each weekend for most of the year. I had to get to the market. Trying to balance hungry children and Slimming World is no joke. It was to be a beef-steak pie then it turned into a casserole, in other words a pie without the pastry. I headed for the market and missed the first bus. Oh well off for a political discussion with my friend Dilys and one hour late getting to Neath. Lovely coffee she makes me and I duly arrived at the market with greaseproof paper and a napkin to wrap my free range chicken in. Into my basket it popped together with my Tupperware container containing my beef pieces and three jars of local honey. Across to the vegetable stall and carrots, onions and tomatoes joined my meat and off home on the next bus.

I started cooking at noon and was still cooking and peeling vegetables at 3 pm. By then the casserole was in the oven, the strawberries had been cut up in the strawberry jelly and the blancmange was in the fridge. We ate at 3.30 pm and everyone was hungry and appreciative. The rest of the day was filled with cups of tea, free range boiled eggs and mam’s bread toasted with market butter at 7.30 pm for supper, kids pyjamas on and they are in the car by 8 pm for the drive back to Cardiff. Yes I have to get up earlier on the days my family arrive because it takes so long to prepare and cook enough food for us all. By the time the house is quiet again there is no prepared food left and tomorrow I must start again.