Wednesday 31 October 2007

Day 31

Wednesday October 31st 2007 – Today is a cooking day. I have been on holidays but now back to brass tacks. The remains of the gammon were tempting so I foraged in the fridge and found a leek, some carrots and some fat for pastry. I ended up making a leek and ham pie, a quiche which will go in the freezer and two egg custard tarts. Oh and out of the little bit of pastry left a jam tart. The free range eggs make beautiful yellow quiches. The yolks stand up proud when you crack them showing they are fresh. The flatter the yolk, the older the egg was what I was taught. These are fresh. Today I had a little problem and made another discovery. Firstly the problem, for the first time on my project I had to empty the cleaner. What does one do with the contents of the cleaner without a bin. I took it all in my stride and sat down to contemplate. I do not have a bag in my cleaner which is a bonus now although a bag is paper and would have burned. But the mess I empty out of my cleaner is not pretty. I have a huge red wool rug that leaches hair like rain. How it is not yet bald I will never understand. Well I examined the contents in a cardboard box which is outside waiting for my next fire. They were not mineral, they were what I would call vegetable. Therefore they could go on the compost heap or I could burn them. Mainly fibres and little bits of dirt the compost heap will do fine. Now for my revelation. You remember the pop man who brought pop in glass bottles and took them back. Well he is still alive and doing very well. He is doing even better since I found out he still exists. Wait until my son and grandsons find out and wait until they see the bottles of pop. Not that they do not like my lemonade, but the bubbles, I failed to get bubbles in my lemonade so I can now legally buy pop and give back the packaging. I have ordered this pop man to come and see me next week. I just cannot wait, I was mad I had just missed him this week. I shall let you know of any other delights he may have tucked away on the pop van. Everyone I spoke to who has their pop from the pop man state they will never ever have plastic bottles of pop. What did they say, ‘ It just does not taste as good in plastic’. The list of available goods is growing weekly. I am thriving and my bin, empty as it has been since October 1st and today is October 31st.