Wednesday 17 October 2007

Day 17

Wednesday 17th October 2007. Well Slimming World was a dawdle. I had to get in and out quickly due to my lift being in a hurry, so I did not have to stay and explain the no gain, no loss situation I found myself in. Perhaps the trifle balanced out the quiche. Next week I shall face the music. The market telephoned me today on my mobile while I was out in a meeting to ask did madam require a free range chicken this week. What service !! I commend the stall holders of Neath Market. No supermarket ever did that for me. I used to get mightily annoyed when I would go through a till at Tescos and the young person serving could have been taking money from an alien with a false hand as I would have been all the way through the checkout as she talked to her till mate next door, paid, exited the checkout and she would not have looked up once.

I hit crisis point today after my cheese and pickle sandwiches with fresh beetroot. I wanted a desert. If it had not been for Slimming World I would have made some pikelets quickly on the bakestone and covered them with blackberry coulis made quickly in the microwave. But there is next week and the self help group of which I would be the star if I did not try at least. I was pretty desperate but controlled. I took a large Hereford Crispin apple and cored it. I stuffed the centre with sultanas and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes. I then cracked 2 free range eggs which I separated and split a vanilla pod down the middle. I put a third of a pint of milk into my double saucepan and a dessertspoon of honey, dropped the vanilla pod halves in and warmed the milk gently. I whisked the eggs and added them to the hot milk and vanilla pods in the double saucepan. It took about 20 mins and then I removed the apple from the microwave, poured the custard with the little brown flecks in it like that upmarket vanilla ice cream and indulged myself. 2 hours later I am still full to the brim and smiling and warm like a cat who has had the cream. I have survived and on my cooker is a pot of vegetable stew with pot barley in which I can smell already. My bin is empty, I am full, my hair smells lovely with the Lush solid shampoo and I do not think I ever needed deodorant after all these years of using it. Oh well they say you are never too old to learn.

Sourcing is the key. I revel in the fact I can walk into a shop and go around the shelves searching for items I can buy instead of wandering aimlessly looking what would take my fancy. It is a whole new game and I am not adding anything to the mountain of waste which already
exists.