Wednesday 24 October 2007

Day 23

My bin remains empty. I now after just a few weeks know that I could live like this indefinitely with very little effort. My children are now trained well and would not dare bring plastic bags into my house. A friend who smokes suddenly said to me after she had sat and drunk a couple of cups of coffee ‘ oh! what do I do with my cigarette butts’. She went on ‘ I will have to take them with me, give me a plastic bag’. I looked at her and we both burst out laughing, ‘I forgot she said, you do not have a plastic bag’. This turned into a dilemma. How does one dispose of cigarette butts without a bin. Well they were burned. I thought of my compost bin but did not want to pollute it so I burned them in my incinerator. There were only two of them but I felt guilty about doing it yet could not allow a friend leave my house with her cigarette butts in a paper bag J I have to perform this service to keep any friends.

For the last two days I have eaten the remains of my Sunday dinner. I make more than I need for this purpose. Six hours spent cooking on the weekend allows me the freedom at the beginning of the week to concentrate on other things in my life like writing, campaigning and socializing. I have frozen some custard I made on the weekend and half the apple crumble I made. These will come for next weekend now. The freezer allows us to have the best of both worlds as does the microwave. I use all mod cons. They are there I have no problem with them. My problem is with items we throw away daily and which create land-fill. Anyone want the number of my milkman I would be only too glad to give it out.