Sunday 7 October 2007

Day 6

I changed today from being a hunter to a cook. My son had returned from university starving and my daughter was on her way with two hungry grandchildren and none of them were on the Slimming World regime. I lay in bed thinking about getting up and having my organic porridge and then what. It came to me in a flash, they needed filling, I needed something substantial, I had to bake. I put on my pinafore from the drawer where all my tea towels lurked with the multi use cotton squares I use for getting fat off food, for putting over jugs in the fridge, for mopping up spills and for anything else other people use kitchen roll for. I have always done this, far cheaper and easier. The two pints of full cream milk had arrived at 4.30 am that morning, I heard the clank of the milk bottles. Bacon, free range eggs from the market, lovely Snowdonia cheese and some onions and I was away. The pastry was made and the quiches were in the oven. I sat and juiced lemons by hand until my arm ached, made a simple syrup with sugar and hot water into which I put the strained juice. then into my big jug, filled it up with cold water and put into the fridge to settle. Then the victoria sponge with fresh market butter and more eggs. It turned out perfectly. I had taken yeast out of the freezer last night and so started to prove some dough. Then the salad and it was four hours later and I had finished. Another four hours later I was back where I had been at eight o clock that morning. By eight pm I was cooking roast potatoes and lamb for the hungry James who thought he would like some yorkshire pudding and gravy if it was not too much trouble. I spent approximately five hours preparing food and cooking it today and at least another hour washing up but the Fairy soap did not fail me and everything in the kitchen, by the time I fell into bed at 11 pm smelled lovely and sparkled. I remembered the day before when I had toured two shops and found only four items I could purchase minus plastic but did not panic, I fell to sleep tired but with my hunger totally satisfied and smiling; for tomorrow, Sunday, I was out foraging somewhere special where I had not been before.