Wednesday 24 October 2007

Day 22

October 22nd 2007 - Today I was on my way on the train to Cardiff again. I love the train. For me it is an ideal mode of transport. I admit I would be a threat on the road due to slow responses. I have thought well about trying my test again after failing dismally a few years ago but have erred on the side of caution. So I understand too well the downfalls of the public transport system we have. I have no problem with waiting for a bus and as long as I can get onto the train and the bus I will use them. The towns I have more of a problem with than the means to get there. Because of pedestrian precincts it is only the fit that are able to enjoy our towns now. In Neath for example we used to have bus stops just outside the back of the market. Now you have a five mile hike to get to the bus. Something has to change if we are to retain our towns as shopping areas. The journey to Cardiff was uneventful. I watch people getting on and off the train and wonder where they are going to. I wonder how much litter they put in their bin and I wonder how many of them are aware of the fact they do not have to create landfill. On the way home the train arrived punctually and my journey was effortless in a comfortable seat. I read too many papers on the train though and get incensed enough to start writing letters as soon as I get home. But it is a way of getting your voice heard. It is a way of implanting into peoples minds the seeds of wasteful packaging and plastic milk bottles against which I wage war.