Friday 5 October 2007

Day 5

This is a life changing experience. I am becoming a hunter. Each meal eaten sends a signal to my brain that tells me I will need to eat again today. No more resting on my laurels, opening the door of the fridge and reaching in for a free low fat yoghurt I do not have to own up to in Slimming World class. I prepare for the next meal in my head as I eat the last one. I am on the alert. I know how the caveman felt when he managed to outrun a wild boar after weeks of picking bones off birds. I am the hunter with my meat on the spit, drinking in the smells of my dinner, my stomach rumbling. I want to tell myself not to be obsessed with food but I have to be, for if I am really hungry and I have not prepared a meal then I am in trouble. One must constantly check the cupboards in case one cannot go out hunting for a few days to make sure supplies are in. I am travelling with the waggon trains. I am the new explorer, I am constantly on the alert with my primary instinct for survival uppermost in my life. Food the staple of all life. On a lighter note, I got my chicken breasts from the market. Then my son came home and wanted mams curry so I still have not attained my stuffed chicken whose smell will stay firmly lodged in my brain until I eat it eventually. Peeling tomatoes will become an art I am sure of it but the honey, the fresh lemon juice and the fresh tomatoes made a lovely curry and my son still loves me even though he tells me he might not stay for the whole weekend as they are not as mad as me in Newport and he gets plastic bottles of pop there.