Tuesday 16 October 2007

Day 16

Tuesday looms wet and windy. The day for doing indoor things like cooking for the weekend. Tonight is Slimming World and the weigh in. I wonder if last weeks quiches will catch up on me this week. If they do then the trifle from last weekend should not show until next week. Where there is life there is hope. Yesterday there was a report saying the supermarkets need to get greener as they are not faring well in the grades set by some obscure body. I read every paper I can get my hands on while on the train so am clued up and pen happy by the following day. Yes the letter has gone to the Western Mail. Another report was about putting weighing scales in schools to weigh pupils and prevent obesity. What a load of codswallop. I was a large child and can remember well how embarrassed I would have been to be weighed and have the nod of disapproval from some well meaning interferer in my life. My mother could not afford to ply me with treats and I was one of four children. We had our own fowl and vegetables and pigs. What had made me bigger than the average brownie. The day I walked into brownies at 10 years of age. I had plucked up the courage to ask my mother to take me they looked at me, taller than average, a big girl and stated matter of factly, Oh! we do not have a uniform big enough in brownies she will have to wait to go to guides and then get fitted out. I never made girl guides. My career in the camp fire brigade finished that evening. I never went back and built my own fires with my brothers on the side of the river and went back to becoming head squaw. Something has happened to food to make all these people this size, something has happened to life styles to make all people what they now term ‘ obese’ a derogatory statement that in an instant segregates a huge portion of the population and sells slimming foods by the ton. Now we need face lifts, botox and infill by the time we are 30 and perfect teeth that cost ten thousand pounds a time. What next I ask myself, just where do we go from here ? All I ask for is fresh fruit and vegetables and local meat. Our children will grow strong then. Local bakers to bake bread without all the additives and food that mums cook and serve in that age old picture of health and contentment. Women today are denied that. They did not give it up, economic direction stole it from them. Can we ever get it back, perhaps we can try and rescue some of it. My bin is empty. When this rain stops I shall take a picture of it and my recycling bin and plastic bags. They are a thing of my past, what will be the future